Consumers can monitor energy, water consumption using mobile app

Haikal Latiff Channel NewsAsia 25 Jan 15;

SINGAPORE: Consumers can now monitor their energy and water consumption levels by simply using an app on their mobile phones. The app, launched by SP Services earlier this month, has been downloaded more than 25,000 times.

One user who has found the app useful is Flora Aw. The working mother of two uses it to compare her monthly consumption levels. She can also compare her usage with the average consumption of similar households in her block. From there, she can set a target of how much she wants to reduce her bill by for the next month.

The app also offers various energy-saving tips, which Ms Aw finds handy in changing consumption patterns. "After looking at the tips from the SP app, one of the things that I would do immediately is to wash my clothes on full load. I used to separate out my laundry and do it every two days, every alternate day," she said.

"So I think now I will try to put full load and on cold wash because I didn't know that cold wash is good enough for our normal laundry. Another thing that I would do is get my air-conditioner cleaned because I didn't know that if you have a clean air-conditioner, it actually is more energy efficient," added Ms Aw.

- CNA/al