Malaysia: Johor, Malacca, Selangor flood victims moved to 16 relief centres

The Star 15 Dec 15;

JOHOR BARU: Fifty-nine people from eight families have been moved to the Sekolah Kebangsaan Parit Bunga relief centre in Ledang following heavy rain.

Ledang District Civil Defence officer Mohd Shahrizan Ab Aziz said the group comprised 26 men and 17 women; five boys and seven girls; and three male infants and one female infant.

In a statement here Tuesday, he said the residents were evacuated around 2pm Monday.

In Malacca, 278 flood victims comprising 65 families in Malacca Tengah have moved to two relief centres, which were opened Monday.

The Civil Defence Department in a statement today said of the figure, 190 people from 46 families are at Sekolah Kebangsaan Krubong while 88 from 19 families, at Balai Raya Tanah Merah Krubong.

Meanwhile, the number of flood victims around Alor Gajah has decreased to 323 comprising 77 families as of 8 am, from 559 comprising 130 families at 9 pm last night.

They are temporarily housed at five centres - Sekolah Kebangsaan Belimbing Dalam (247); Balai Raya Kampung Beringin (35); Dewan Masjid Ar Rasidin (23); Balai Raya Kampung Panchor (10); and Balai Raya Kampung Bukit Balai (8).

In Shah Alam, 625 flood victims are currently staying at nine relief centres around Selangor as of 9 am.

Selangor Fire and Rescue operations assistant director Mohd Sani Harul said of the figure, 242 people from 59 families are at Dewan Merak, Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Meru, Klang, near here.

"Others are at Balai Raya Kampung Salak, Salak Tinggi (30); Dewan Taman Gemilang, Dengkil (104); surau RTB Labu Lanjut, Sepang (77); and surau Ladang Tuan Mee, Kuala Selangor (40).

"The rest are at Surau At-Taufikiah, Puncak Alam (22); Dewan Majlis Perbandaran Klang, Kampung Kuantan in Klang (17); Sekolah Kebangsaan Sultan Abdul Samad, Kapar (58); and Dewan Orang Ramai Genting Sanyen, Sepang (35)," he said. - Bernama


Families leave homes as flood waters rise
The Star 16 Dec 15;

LEDANG: A three-hour downpour that led to flooding has forced 59 people from eight families to vacate their homes.

Johor Welfare Department deputy director Datuk Daud Arbah said the victims took refuge at a surau and the Tanjung Gading community hall on Sunday before they were shifted to the SK Parit Bunga relief centre the following day.

He said the victims from Kampung Parit Ponorogo and Kampung Tanjung Gading comprised 26 men, 17 women, five boys, seven girls, and four infants.

“We have provided essential needs including mattresses and mats (for senior citizens and children), blankets, ingredients for cooking, milk and food for the babies,” he said.

Flood victim Azman Rashid, 33, said he was fortunate as he managed to save a refrigerator, washing machine, a motorcycle and a car before the three main roads were cut off.

Another victim, Baharom Mohamad, 77, said his family managed to save important documents and several electrical appliances before the water rose to knee height.

Meanwhile, state Welfare Department officer Suhaila Omar said the three main roads connecting the two villagers were reopened, but flood waters still covered the area and some part of the residents' houses.

“We are also providing counselling services to the flood victims as well as toys for the children to keep them happy,” she said.

Meanwhile in Ipoh, the number of flood victims increased to 111 following heavy showers in Pantai Remis and Teluk Intan.

A Perak Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said some five families with 20 people had been relocated to the Padang Serai Religious School in Pantai Remis.

“Nine families with 38 people were moved to SK Changkat Jong in Teluk Intan,” he said.

The victims had moved to the temporary shelter on Monday between 6pm and 9pm.

At Parit in Perak Tengah, eight families with 32 people returned to their homes after the flood waters at parts of the village in Layang-Layang Kiri receded.

No comments:

Post a Comment