Malaysia: 'Dengue outbreak in Terengganu serious'

New Straits Times 21 Jan 16;

KUALA TERENGGANU: The increasing number of dengue cases and deaths in this state show that the dengue outbreak this year is a serious episode for the state.

State Health, Women Development , Family and Community committee chairman Datuk Muhammad Pehemi Yusof said quick action should be taken to put an end to the problem.

Pehemi said yesterday, Terengganu recorded the fifth fatality from dengue this year following the death of an 11-year-old pupil from Pulau Perhentian in Besut.

He said the boy who was admitted to the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital on Monday night after suffering from fever for six days. He died while receiving treatment.

"A sibling of the boy is still being warded at the Besut Hospital," he said.

Pehemi said a team of officers from the Terengganu Health Department had fogged Pulau Perhentian and conducted health checks on the island.

To date, Terengganu recorded five deaths with 343 cases of dengue in January alone.

This is a 290 per cent increase in number of cases compared to the 92 cases during the same period last year.

Negri Sembilan records first dengue death, hospital ward filled with patients

KHAIRUL NAJIB ASARULAH KHAN New Straits Times 21 Jan 16;

SEREMBAN: Negri Sembilan has recorded its first dengue death since Jan 1 this year.

State Health director Dr Abdul Rahim Abdullah said the 63-year-old victim was believed to have been infected by the virus at her house in Mambau, near here.

“The victim passed away at Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital (HTJ) on Jan 11.

“There was another 34-year-old woman who died after falling ill with dengue on Monday. However, she also suffered from other illness.

“The health department is still trying to determine her actual cause of death,” he said.

He was speaking to reporters after witnessing the wheelchair distribution by the Nilai Municipal Council (MPN) to Rantau clinic, here, today.

Dr Abdul Rahim said 229 dengue cases had been recorded between Jan 1 and Jan 18, almost triple the 81 cases of the same period in the state last year. “Seremban and Nilai recorded the highest cases followed by Port Dickson, Kuala Pilah, Jempol and Rembau.

“The dengue ward at HTJ is fully occupied and we have opened another ward to accommodate patients.

“In addition, we have summoned the help of medical staff from districts with fewer cases to support HTJ,” he said.

The rise of dengue cases in Terengganu is alarming: Razif

ADRIAN DAVID New Straits Times 23 Jan 16;

KUALA NERUS: The dengue epidemic is so alarming in Terengganu that concerted efforts have to be taken to prevent more victims and deaths, said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman.

He said as of Jan 21, a total of 407 cases were reported in the state, as compared with 106 cases for the corresponding period last year, accounting for a 301 increase.

There were also five deaths during the period this year, with four cases in the state capital Kuala Terengganu and one in Kampung Pulau Perhentian, Besut.

"We have the ignominy of occupying fifth spot in the country for having the most number of dengue cases.

This is not a good sign and is worrying. "We cannot take things lightly and all parties, including the public, must play a role in combating dengue.

We should not just place this responsibility on the Health Department and local authorities," he said at the gotong-royong Perdana at Kampung Bukit Kandis.

According to statistics, Kuala Terengganu had the most number of dengue cases (26) followed by Kuala Nerus (65), Dungun (26), Besut (19), Marang (14), Hulu Terengganu (11), Kemaman (5) and Setiu (2).

Razif expressed concern that 30 locations were still active with dengue. Of this number, he said 16 locations were in Kuala Terengganu, seven in Kuala Nerus, two in Besut and one in Dungun.

"Kuala Terengganu's worst hit areas are in Jalan Panji Alam, Kampung Chendering Pantai, Kampung Gong Tok Nasek Hilir and Kedai Buloh," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment