The Star 10 Feb 16;
KUCHING: Over 2,000 people have been evacuated as heavy rain brought floods to parts of Kuching and Bau districts.
As of 2pm yesterday, the number of evacuees had risen to 2,679, compared to 765 on Monday night.
State Civil Defence Department (JPAM) public relations officer Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said the flood victims had been moved to 21 relief centres – 14 in Kuching and five in Bau.
Seven of the centres were opened on Monday night as more rain fell while two more were opened yesterday morning.
Deputy State Secretary Datuk Misnu Taha said the weather was expected to improve by the end of the week.
“According to the Meteorological Department’s forecast, the rain will lessen over the next few days until Friday. The Drainage and Irrigation Department’s telemetry stations also showed light rain in most parts of Sarawak, unlike the heavy rain over the last few days,” he told reporters after chairing a state disaster management committee meeting yesterday.
He cautioned that water levels could rise again during high tide and advised residents in low-lying areas to be on the alert.
“The public can contact JPAM if they observe the water level rising. The Welfare Department is also ready to deliver food to relief centres,” he said.
In Malacca, the flood situation continued to improve as only 119 flood victims remained at Sekolah Kebangsaan Belimbing Dalam, Durian Tunggal, Alor Gajah.
All other relief centres have been closed as flood water receded yesterday.
In Johor, only one relief centre remained open at SK Sepang Loi in Segamat, which housed 10 people from two families.
All other relief centres in Tangkak were closed yesterday evening as situation returned to normal.
Over 2,500 people evacuated as floods worsen in Sarawak
The Star 9 Feb 16;
KUALA LUMPUR: The flood situation in Sarawak has worsened with 2,679 people evacuated to 19 relief centres in Kuching and Bau.
The number of evacuees registered at 5pm saw more than a 100% increase from Tuesday morning.
Sarawak Civil Defence Department (JPAM) public relations officer Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said that 14 relief centres were opened in Kuching and five in Bau to house the victims from 694 families.
Fire and rescue department personnel were deployed at Kampung Batu Kitang, one of the areas affected by floods, to monitor the river level.
The situation in the Peninsular, however, showed a marked improvement.
In Malacca, only 119 flood victims remained at Sekolah Kebangsaan Belimbing Dalam, Durian Tunggal in Alor Gajah.
State Civil Defence Department director Lt Kol Effendy Ali said the relief centre at Balai Raya Bukit Balai, Durian Tunggal, which housed 26 people, was closed at noon.
In Johor, three more relief centres in Tangkak and Segamat were closed as floodwaters receded.
According to the state Disaster Management Committee, the Kampung Awat relief centre in Segamat was closed at 5pm.
In Tangkak, the centres at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Sialang and Sekolah Agama Bandar Tangkak were closed at 4.30pm.
The only remaining centre is at SK Spang Loi in Segamat, which housed 10 flood victims from two families. – Bernama
Holidaymakers stranded in Pulau Redang
SHARANPAL SINGH RANDHAWA The Star 9 Feb 16;
BESUT: Some 100 holidaymakers were stranded in Pulau Redang since Sunday after boat services to the mainland here were suspended due to rough sea conditions.
Sixty of them managed to safely arrive at the mainland on Tuesday evening, leaving 40 behind in the island.
Boat services were suspended due to huge waves, strong winds and rough seas.
A hotel employee, who did not want to be named, said authorities issued a notice for boats to cease operations following the adverse weather since Thursday, which posed a danger to small boats ferrying tourists.
"Initially, we had about 100 tourists stranded. But some 60 of them were ferried by boats at 3pm and 5pm today (Tuesday) after obtaining approval from authorities.
"There are about 40 more who are left behind after they had decided to extend their stay until tomorrow (Wednesday)," said the employee, adding that they may be permitted to travel once the situation improves.
The huge waves measuring about 5m also saw some 100 tourists stranded on Pulau Perhentian since Thursday.
Besut district police chief superintendent Khaled Che Lah said they safely arrived at the mainland by boat on Sunday after getting clearance from authorities.
The Star 10 Feb 16;