Malaysia: Flood situation improves in Malacca but worsens in Johor

The Star 8 Feb 16;

MALACCA: The flood situation in Malacca has improved but the situation in Johor worsened as another relief centre was opened in Segamat.

The number of evacuees in Malacca dropped to 359 people from 88 families as of 4pm, compared to 3,951 people from 887 families at noon.

Malacca Civil Defence Department director Lt Col (PA) Effendy Ali said only two relief centres remained open, namely SK Belimbing Dalam with 327 victims, and Bukit Balai Durian Tunggal community centre, housing 32 people.

"All relief centres in Malacca Tengah and Jasin have been closed as of this evening," he said when contacted by Bernama here Monday.

However, he reminded the people to remain vigilant, and be prepared in case the floods returned.

The weather in Malacca Monday was sunny and cloudy in certain areas around Alor Gajah and Malacca Tengah.

Meanwhile, in Johor, another relief centre was opened this afternoon, namely at SK Spang Loi in Segamat.

According to the State Disaster Management Committee, five victims from one family had been moved to the centre.

"With the addition of the this relief centre, the total number of flood victims placed in four relief centres as of this afternoon increased to 127 people from 34 families," he said when contacted.

He said the number of flood victims at the relief centre in Sekolah Agama Bandar Tangkak also increased this afternoon from 24 to 41 people. - Bernama

Floods worsen in Malacca, Negri Sembilan and Johor
The Star 8 Feb 16;

KUALA LUMPUR: The flood situation continues unabated in the southern states during the first day of the Chinese New Year.

In Malacca, the number of victims increased to 4,600 people (1,005 families) Monday morning from 4,317 (956) Sunday night.

State Malaysian Civil Defence Department (JPAM) director Lt Col Effendy Ali said of the total, 3,020 victims were housed at six evacuation centres in the Melaka Tengah district.

Alor Gajah district had 1,560 victims sheltered six evacuation centres and the Jasin district with 24 victims at one relief centre.

"The number of victims at the 13 relief centres rose due to heavy rain last night, causing several areas to be flooded," he said when contacted by Bernama.

In Negri Sembilan, there was a slight increase, with the number of evacuees increasing to 662.

State JPAM director Lt Col Kamal Mokhtar said in a statement that as of 8am, the number of relief centres in the district remained at six.

The Gemenceh-Gemas road, which was fully repaired, was expected to be open to all vehicles at 5pm.

In Johor, floods victims increased to 126 involving 32 families who were evacuated to three relief centres in Tangkak district.

Flash floods hit parts of northern Sabah
RUBEN SARIO The Star 8 Feb 16;

KOTA KINABALU: Flash floods hit parts of the northern Kota Marudu district, some 120km from here, following two days of continued heavy rain.

Areas such as Kampung Batu 4 and Kandawayon have inundated by about 1m of water since late Sunday.

Retired Sabah Water Department technician Matthew Gitom, who lives at Kampung 4, said low lying areas as well as padi fields had been affected.

He said floods had taken villagers by surprise due to the dry conditions over the past several months.

The Malaysian Meteorological Services Department had warned of hot and dry weather in Sabah between January and March due to the El Nino phenomenon.

It said, the impact of phenomenon would see a reduction of rainfall of between 20% and 60% and an increase in temperature of between 0.5 and 2 degrees Celsius during the period.

Floods: Over 4,500 evacuated in Malacca
ROSHIDI ABU SAMAH New Straits Times 8 Feb 16;

MALACCA: A total of 4,600 flood victims in Malacca involving 1,005 families are still being placed at 13 evacuation centres across the state as at 8am today.

State Civil Defence Department director Lieutenant Colonel Effendy Ali said Melaka Tengah district recorded the highest number of victims with 3,020 people, followed by Alor Gajah and Jasin district which recorded 1,560 and 24 victims respectively.

"Six relief centres are still open each in Melaka Tengah and Alor Gajah while only one centre still operating in Jasin," he said in a statement here today.

Effendy said three relief centres in Alor Gajah and two centres in Jasin had been closed in the last 24-hour.

1,065 people sheltering at Sarawak flood relief centres
ADIB POVERA New Straits Times 9 Feb 16;

KUCHING: Some areas on the southern parts of the state remained submerged by floods following continuous downpour from last night until early today.

According to a Civil Defense Department spokesman, 1,065 people from 253 families were still seeking shelter at temporary flood evacuation centres.

The spokesman said the flood evacuees were relocated to 13 relief centres in Kuching and Bau.

The deputy state secretary is expected to chair the Sarawak Natural Disaster Committee Meeting before briefing the media on the flood situation in the state at Petra Jaya this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment