Malaysia: Over 3,000 evacuated in Malacca floods

New Straits Times 7 Feb 16;

MALACCA: The number of flood victims evacuated to the 13 relief centres in Malacca increased to 2,659 people involving 587 families as at 8am today.

State director of the Malaysian Civil Defence Department (JPAM), Lt Col (CD) Effendy Ali said of the total, seven relief centres were opened in the district of Alor Gajah and three each in the districts of Melaka Tengah and Jasin.

“The number of victims evacuated to the Alor Gajah relief centre was 1,491, while the relief centre in Melaka Tengah has 1,078 victims and Jasin (90 victims),” he told Bernama when contacted here today.

He said that in the Alor Gajah district, the number of victims at the Sekolah Kebangsaan Belimbing Dalam relief centre was 552, Taman Seri Bayu Community Hall (492), Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Seri Pengkalan (328), Sekolah Kebangsaaan Ganun (59), Kampung Beringin Community Hall (34), Bukit Balai (18) and Bukit Tambun Community Hall(8).

In the district of Melaka Tengah there were 875 victims sheltered at the Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Munshi Abdullah, Masjidul Rahman Tanah Merah, Kerubong (118), and Sekolah Kebangsaan Kerubong (85), he said.

Effendy said 62 victims were sheltered at Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Simpang Bekoh, Sekolah Kebangsaan Chohong (25) and Asahan Community Hall (3).

He said the JPAM and several security agencies provided assistance to evacuate the flood victims to the relief centres.-- BERNAMA

Floods: Over 600 evacuated in Negri Sembilan
New Straits Times 7 Feb 16;

SEREMBAN: The number of flood victims in Negri Sembilan rose to 671 from 166 families this morning.

State Civil Defence Department (JPAM) director, Lt Kol (CD) Kamal Mokhtar said as at 6am today, seven relief centres had been opened namely five in the district of Tampin and one each in Rembau and Port Dickson.

“In Tampin, 598 victims were sheltered at Sekolah Kebangsaan (F) Sungai Kelamah; Sungai Dua Mosque (22 victims); Parit Buloh Community Hall, Air Kuning (17 victims); Sungai Kelamah Community Hall (seven) and Sekolah Kebangsaan Ladang, Gemas (four). “Meanwhile in Lubok Cina, Rembau there were 14 victims, and Surau Kampung Nerambai, Port Dickson (nine),” he said in a statement, here today.

Last night, there were 511 flood victims from 116 families sheltered at six relief centres.--BERNAMA

Floods: Over 400 in Kuching's relief centres
New Straits Times 8 Feb 16;

KUCHING: The number of flood victims at two evacuaton centres in Kuching this morning dropped significantly to 492 from 107 families compared with 1,072 victims from 223 families last night.

State Civil Defence Department (JPAM) Public Relations Officer, Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said that as of 8.30 this morning there were only 492 victims from 107 families who were sheltered at two centres here, namely 464 victims at the Dewan Serbaguna Malihah and 28 victims at the Dewan Sinaran Lumut.

She said the victims were from Taman Malihah and Kampung Sungai Lumut here. “Some of the victims have already been allowed to return home after the water level receded,” said Siti.

She said the rain which occurred from early morning and the overcast sky resulted in the water levels in the Malihah and Jambatan Batu Kawa areas here to be at the danger point while in Kuala Maong, the water was at the alert level.--BERNAMA

98 families evacuated from flood-hit homes in Sarawak
ADIB POVERA New Straits Times 7 Feb 16;

KUCHING: A total of 217 people from 98 families were relocated to a relief centre after their houses were inundated by floods in Taman Malihah in Matang near here today.

All flood evacuees were placed at a community hall at the residential area after their houses were submerged by one-meter high water.

State Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (operations) Farhan Sufyan Borhan said the evacuation process commenced when the flood situation at the housing estate worsened at 6.30pm.

Continuous downpour triggered the floods.

"We fear the number of flood evacuees will continue to increase if the rain continues pouring," he said.

Johor records 69 flood victims
New Straits Times 7 Feb 16;

LEDANG: The number of flood victims in Johor rose to 69 this morning from 55 last night following an increase in water levels in several villages affected by the floods in the district of Ledang, here.

Ledang District Civil Defence Department officer Mohd Shahrizan Abd Aziz said the number of victims rose when two rivers, namely Sungai Kohong and Sungai Asahan overflowed their banks resulting in the surrounding areas being inundated.

“To date, 69 victims from 13 families from Kampung Seberang Gajah, Kampung Sialang Dalam and Kampung Tanjong Laboh had been evacuated to the Sekolah Kebangsaan Sialang relief centre,” he said when contacted here today.

Mohd Shahrizan said the victims included a handicapped person and four infants.

The relief centre was opened from 6 pm yesterday.--BERNAMA

79 victims sheltered in Segamat
The Star 8 Feb 16;

MUAR: A flood relief centre has been opened in Segamat district after flood waters in Kampung Awat, Gemas rose following heavy rain.

According to the Segamat District Disaster Management Committee, 20 people from five families were moved to the Kampung Awat community hall.

In Ledang district, 59 victims are still being housed at SK Sialang.

Ledang Department of Civil Defence officer Mohd Shahrizan Abd Aziz said they comprised 34 adults, 15 children, five senior citizens, one handicapped person and four babies.

All the victims were from Kampung Seberang Gajah, Kampung Sialang Dalam and Kampung Tanjong Laboh, he added.

He said there was sufficient supply of food and other basic necessities for the victims.

"They are all in good health except for an elderly villager who was referred to Tangkak Hospital for a medical examination, but he is alright,” Mohd Shahrizan said.

He said all the relevant agencies were monitoring the situation and on the alert. — Bernama

Badly damaged Jln Tampin-Gemas closed to road users
NUR AQIDAH AZIZI New Straits Times 7 Feb 16;

GEMAS: As of 11am today, the Kilometer 43 Jalan Tampin-Gemas which has been closed yesterday due to the overflowing of Sungai Kelamah that had inundated the road is still closed to all road users.

A spokesman from the state’s Works Department said, although the water level in the area had receded today, the road was damaged and needed to be monitored before it could be reopened to the public.

“The bridge across the Sungai Kelamah too is badly damaged.

We need to clean and fix it first before we can open it to all road users,” he said.

The Kilometer 43 Jalan Tampin-Gemas has been closed since yesterday’s morning and all road users from Gemas heading to Tampin and Kuala Pilah will have to use alternative roads, via FELDA Bukit Rokan in Gemencheh and FELDA Pasir Besar in Gemas.

No comments:

Post a Comment