Sewage flow too close to fish farm

Letter by Freddie Choo, Straits Times 30 Nov 08;

I visited St John's Island last Tuesday and while disembarking at the pier, noticed that the water on one side looked polluted. There was also a strong raw sewage odour permeating the entire waterfront.

On closer inspection, I noticed a pipe discharging sewage into the water. From the odour, it must be untreated sewage.

What is alarming is its close proximity to a deep-sea fish farm there, where fish are reared for sale and consumption in our markets.

From the flow of the water, there is no way anyone can argue that the sewage does not affect the farm, as there is only one channel.

I hope the authorities will look into this.

I also noticed some visitors to the island picking shellfish off the rocks.

I hope their health will not be adversely affected by the sewage, as the shellfish can be carriers of toxic agents.