Nothing to do in Singapore? That's rubbish

Too often, I have heard friends whine about how "there's nothing good to do here", says writer Victoria Barker.

Victoria Barker, My Paper Asia One 12 Dec 08;

WHILE working on a story on staycations recently, I was reminded of something I've been pondering for the last couple of months.

For the uninitiated, a "staycation" - an American-coined phrase that combines "stay-at-home" and "vacation" - means taking a holiday close to home.

I got to enjoy a two-night staycation at the luxury five-star resort Rasa Sentosa while working on my assignment. That's the easy part of the job.

But I also had to come up with edgy, alternative activities for our readers to do.

Initially, I thought that would not be easy. That's because I'm very much a creature of habit. I'm not exactly the adventurous sort when it comes to visiting new places and trying out new pursuits - even here in Singapore.

During the course of my research, I began to realise how much of our tiny 707.1-sq-km island I have yet to experience; places which have nothing to do with the stereotypical "Singaporean" pastimes of watching movies, shopping and - let's not forget - eating.

Too often, I have heard friends whine about how "there's nothing good to do here". Funnily enough, the one friend who consistently disagrees with that notion is non-Singaporean.

Graeme, a Scotsman who loves trying different dishes at hawker centres, is always urging me to "expand my horizons".

"There's so much more out there than you know," he said.

Aside from Graeme, I discovered that may friends and I have been wrong about Singapore.

There are plenty of things to do that don't cost money and many unspoiled gems worth checking out. With the bleak economic outlook, now is the time to get out of our comfort zones and just get out there.

How many of you have visited Chek Jawa on Pulau Ubin?

Did you know that in one small area, you can observe a few ecosystems, ranging from sandy beach and rocky beach to coral rubble and mangroves?

And what about Semakau Landfill, just off Tuas?

No, contrary to popular belief, it's not just a place where all our rubbish is incinerated.

Since 2005, it has also been a haven for nature lovers and outdoor types. There are recreational facilities for activities like sport-fishing and bird-watching.

And instead of spending every free evening at overcrowded dining and clubbing destinations, why not take a leisurely stroll down, say, Chinatown or Arab Street?

Savour the sights, smells, sounds and tastes.

The possibilities are endless. So, I urge my fellow Singaporeans to put aside their reservations and start exploring our homeland.

You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can find.