Happy memories of Seletar Camp, soon to make way for airhub development

Straits Times Forum 3 Jan 09;

SLIGHTLY more than three decades ago, I was brought into this world and spent many happy childhood years in Jalan Kayu. One of the greatest finds in that vicinity happened to be Seletar Camp. I recall cycling into the camp compound with my friends, exploring every existing road - and some non-existent ones.

Fast forward to 2008. I read with a heavy heart the news that Seletar Airhub will be up and expanding. If I recall correctly, this may spell the end of many of the black-and-white-black colonial houses left over from the British. The tranquillity of the place, the uniqueness of Seletar Camp which, once gone, most likely cannot be found again.

I recall among the first things I did when I got my first car (which we all know is a big thing on our island) was to visit Seletar Camp. I parked under a big tree, took out my little field chair, my beer and my magazine and had a really good time just chilling - all my myself.

Development in land-scarce Singapore usually comes at great cost to good quality living. With the aerospace industry projected to grow, I understand the need to be prepared so that, when the economic upswing comes, Singapore can ride on it to the top.

I sincerely hope those in the project to develop Seletar Airhub can give some thought to how some sections of the place can be kept untouched for the benefit of this simple 31-year-old Singapore male.

Zach Joseph Tan