Malaysia: Sabah bracing for tail end of typhoon

The Star 17 Dec 15;

KOTA KINABALU: Residents living off Sabah’s western zones including Kudat, the interior and Labuan have been warned against going out to the sea due to Typhoon Melor.

Sabah Meteorological Department director Abdul Malek Tusin said the state is predicted to feel the effects of Typhoon Melor, which has slammed through the Philippines a few days ago.

“Strong winds have been reported at Kudat and the surrounding coastal areas,” he said.

“We expect to feel the effects from the tail end of Typhoon Melor soon,” he said, adding that flash floods were very likely to occur.

“All sea activities should be put on hold for safety reasons,” said Abdul Malek.

The typhoon is expected to bring winds up to 80kph and heavy rain to Sabah’s interior, west coast and Kudat today and tomorrow.

Waves of up to 3.5m in the Sulu Sea and South China Sea are also expected.

Abdul Malek urged residents on the west coast to keep updated with the latest Typhoon Melor news at or call the hotline at 088-413 960.

Floods worsen in Meru, Klang and Kuala Selangor
MAZLINDA MAHMOOD New Straits Times 16 Dec 15;

SHAH ALAM: Flood worsened in Meru, Klang and Kuala Selangor today, increasing the number of flood victims in Selangor to 612 people from 157 families at 5pm today from 497 people yesterday evening.

The number of victims in Meru, Klang increased to 208 people from 184 victims yesterday while the victims from Kampung Parit Mahang also increased from 28 yesterday to 147 people today.

Flood victims in Meru are now sheltering at Dewan Merak, Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Meru in Klang which now houses the highest number of flood victims.

In Kuala Selangor, two new relief centres have been opened in Sekolah Rendah Pasangan, Kampung Asahan, and Bukit Kuching Community Hall to accommodate the increasing number of victims.

The relief centre at the school is now a temporary home for 76 victims while the community hall provides shelter for 24 people.

Meanwhile, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department operations assistant director Mohd Sani Harul said the two relief centres in Sepang district, the Taman Gemilang Hall in Dengkil, and Surau RTB Labu Lanjut have been closed as all victims have returned home.

As of 5pm today, eight relief centres are still operating in Selangor, five in Kuala Selangor, two in Klang and one in Kuala Langat.

Other relief centres which are still opened are Kampung Parit Mahang Community Hall (147 victims), Surau Ladang Tuan Mee (40 victims), and Surau At-Taufikiah, Puncak Alam (10 victims) in Kuala Selangor, Sekolah Kebangsaan Sultan Abdul Samad, Kapar (58) in Klang and Genting Sanyen Community Hall (49) in Kuala Langat.

The victims include 13 babies, 15 senior citizens and seven disabled people.

More than 2,000 defence staff on alert over Typhoon Melor
The Star 18 Dec 15;

KOTA KINABALU: The state Civil Defence personnel are on standby to face any eventualities as the tail-end effects of Typhoon Melor hit parts of Sabah.

Sabah Civil Defence Department director Col Mulliadi Al-Hamdi Ladin said they had placed more than 2,000 personnel on standby since getting an alert from the Meteorological Department earlier this week.

“So far, the west coast areas, including Kota Marudu, Kota Belud, Tuaran, Kota Kinabalu and Papar, are experiencing a downpour,” Mulliadi said yesterday, adding that there had not been any reports of calamities caused by the typhoon.

The typhoon is expected to pack winds of up to 80kph and heavy rain to Sabah’s interior, west coast and Kudat until today.

Waves of up to 3.5m in the Sulu Sea and South China Sea are also expected.

Residents on the west coast can keep up to date with the latest Typhoon Melor news at or call 088-413 960.

No comments:

Post a Comment