Philippines: Boy dies of red tide poisoning in Leyte

GMA News 9 Dec 15;

A boy in Carigara town in Leyte died on Tuesday supposedly after eating tahong (mussel) dish, a television report said Wednesday.

"Unang Balita" reported that local officials have imposed a ban on collecting and eating shellfish and other marine products in the town due to red tide infestation.

The report did not give details on the death of the 7-year-old boy, but said local fishery officials have tightened their monitoring on the collection of shellfish and issued stern warning against eating tahong and other seashells.

Several provinces in the Visayas are dealing with the worst case of red tide infestation to hit the region since 2013, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) said Tuesday.

GMA 7 news program "24 Oras" reported that the following areas were the worst affected:

Capiz: Roxas, Pila, Sapian
Aklan: Altavas, Bataan, New Washington
Bohol: Dauis
Iloilo: Gigantes Islands
Western Samar: Leyte, Biliran

Mati in Davao Oriental had also been hit.

The red tide may have been caused by the long dry spell and changes in temperature, the BFAR said. — GMA News

No comments:

Post a Comment