Malaysia floods: More people evacuated in Sarawak

The Star 2 Jan 16;

KUCHING: More people have been evacuated from flood-hit Sarawak, with the number of evacuees up to 975 at noon from 523 in the morning.

Sarawak Department of Civil Defence public relations officer Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said the evacuees were being housed at two relief centres in the Kuching Division and five centres in the Samarahan Division.

“In the Kuching Division, 60 people were at SMK Tabuan Jaya and 245 at the Stapok community hall,” she said yesterday.

Siti Huzaimah said the relief centre at SMK Bako, which housed 78 evacuees in the morning, was closed at noon after the occupants left for their homes.

In Samarahan, 130 people were being accommodated at SK Tambi­rat, 62 at the Kampung Jaie community hall, 75 at the Samarahan community hall, eight at SK Hj Bujang Rangawan Putit and 395 at SK Bradek.

Samarahan Department of Civil Defence officer Ahmad Shah Fikri Darus said that although the number of evacuees in Samarahan had gone up, floodwaters in the division were receding as the heavy rain had stopped. – Bernama

74 flood victims in Johor evacuated to relief centres
ZAZALI MUSA The Star 2 Jan 15;

JOHOR BARU: Seventy-four flood victims from Segamat and Tangkak in Muar have been evacuated to relief centres in the two districts.

According to a spokesman from the State Flood Management Department, 52 people from 16 families have been transferred to the Kampung Orang Asli community hall in Segamat Kecil.

Twenty-two other victims from five families are, meanwhile, being sheltered at the flood relief centre in SK Sailing, Tangkak in Muar.

'Red' warning issued in east coast states, Johor
SIM BAK HENG New Straits Times 2 Jan 15;

KUALA TERENGGANU: The Meteorological Department has issued a “red” warning due to the prevalence of strong winds and rough sea conditions in Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang and Johor. The conditions are dangerous for shipping, ferry services, fishing, as well as any form of water activities at the seaside.

Winds are expected to blow at more than 60km per hour (kph) while waves could be higher than 4.5m.

Department director-general Datuk Che Gayah Ismail said the department had sent out a warning to the relevant agencies, such as the Marine Department, fishermen associations and ferry operators, among others, about the wind and choppy sea situations.

She said the water level in coastal areas of the east coast states was expected to rise too. “We have revised our warning to the third level, or red warning, today (yesterday).

“Picnickers should avoid swimming activities in coastal areas, or do it at their own risk,” she said in an interview.

For a red warning to be issued, the wind speed must be more than 60kph and the wave height must be more than 4.5m.

It is the most dangerous of the three types of warnings issued.

For the second level, or “orange” warning, the wind speed must range between 50kph and 60kph, while the wave height must range between 3.5m and 4.5m.

For the first level, or “yellow” warning, the wind speed must range between 40kph and 50kph, while the wave height must be between 2.5m and 3.5m.

Che Gayah said a red warning had been issued for the waters at Condore, Reef North and Layang-Layang, while orange warnings had been issued for the waters at Samui, Tioman and Bunguran up until today.

“The situation is too dangerous for shipping activities and offshore oil platforms. We will revise the warning level from time to time on our website,” she said.

Checks at several seaside stretches showed that many picnickers were still playing in the waters.

For example, Tok Jembal beach here was dotted with picnickers, despite the strong winds and waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment