Malaysia: Police on alert as high tides hit Terengganu

The Star 26 Jan 16;

KUALA TERENGGANU: The Terengganu police are ready to deploy some of its personnel at coastal areas, including holiday beaches, which are at risk of the high tide phenomenon which has swept the East Coast state.

State police chief Datuk Rosli Ab Rahman said motorcycle patrol units as well as patrol cars have been mobilised to monitor and advise the public not to approach or conduct any activities near the sea during the phenomenon.

"If there are any untoward incidents, it would be difficult to carry out rescue operations. I would like to advise those living near coastal areas to remain vigilant and cautious," he told reporters here Tuesday.

The advice was also addressed to people visiting the resorts and beaches in Setiu, Besut and Kemaman.

He stressed that the phenomenon should not be taken lightly and the public needs to remain alert as the phenomenon is expected to continue until early Feb.

Meanwhile, Kuala Nerus District Disaster Management Secretariat chief Lt M Ahmad Kamal Hakim said the high tides lashed at several houses in Kampung Tengah Mengabang Telipot and Kampung Tanjung Gelam affecting 37 individuals from nine families.- Bernama


16 families evacuated as eight-metre high waves lash Kelantan
KALBANA PERIMBANAYAGAM New Straits Times 26 Jan 16;

KOTA BARU: Sixteen families were forced to evacuate their homes in Pantai Pasir Kundur here last night after high waves and high water flooded their neighbourhood.

The families were evacuated about 9pm after the sea level rose, with waves as high as eight-metres slamming the shores where most of the houses were located.

The families were evacuated by the Fire and Rescue Department personnel in two trucks, as roads were not inaccessible to light vehicles.

The families are currently staying at SK Pantai Kundur until the water level returns to normal.

However, the weather forecast has cautioned of continuous strong wind and rain in the east coast states.

The adverse weather, which is also affecting Sabah and Sarawak, is expected to last until tomorrow.


High tides and floods force 39 residents to evacuate
The Star 27 Jan 16;

KOTA BARU: Thirty-nine residents at Kampung Pantai Kundor here were evacuated to a relief centre due to floods caused by high tides.

Civil defence officer Mohd Safi­yan Ibrahim said the villagers were relocated to the centre at SK Pulau Kundor after the floods rose up to about 2m at 11.45pm on Monday.

He said eight civil defence personnel and 11 firemen monitored the situation from a command centre, adding that the high tides were due to El Nino as cautioned by the Meteorological Department.

He said vehicles were also on standby in the area in case students needed to be evacuated.

Pengkalan Chepa Umno division chief Datuk Zaluzi Sulaiman visited the command and relief centres to assist the victims.

Villager Mohd Azmi Ramli, 34, said he was instructed to move out from his home when the flood wa­­ters started to rise on Monday night.

He said his family members were taken to the centre on a fire engine.


Waves crash into homes
SHARANPAL SINGH RANDHAWA The Star 27 Jan 16;

KUALA NERUS: Huge waves caused severe erosion along the coastal stretch in Mengabang Telipot here – damaging several houses and for­cing nine families to be evacuated.

The affected villagers, compri­sing 37 people from nine families, were from Kampung Tanjung Ge­­lam and Kampung Tengah. They are staying with their relatives.

Terengganu Civil Defence Depart­ment deputy director (operations) Mejar Amirsarifudin Zalman said the residents of the coastal villages had been advised to stay alert.

“According to the Meteorological Department, coastal villagers can expect strong waves as high as 5m and winds up to 60kph,” he said yesterday.

Apart from the victims, other resi­­dents along the coastal areas are also living in fear as the waves had broken through the barriers.

Many families are undecided on whether to move out as they are concerned about their belongings.

Fisherman Abdullah Mat Isa, 52, from Kampung Tanjung Gelam whose house was partially destroy­ed, said the strong waves he saw yesterday were the worst in the 19 years he’d lived there.

“I was watching TV in the hall at about 5pm when I saw the waves getting stronger. At about 9.30pm, they were smashing against the kitchen wall. All of a sudden, the kitchen wall collapsed,” he added.

Abdullah said his wife, Hani Awi, 45, and 18-year-old daughter ran out of the house, fearing that the house would collapse.

“We gathered all important documents and moved to a relative’s house,” he added.

Keropok seller Kamariah @ Iman Abu Bakar saw her processing barn destroyed by the strong waves.

The erosion caused by the waves also saw coconut trees along the beach uprooted.


Terengganu gov to set up temporary breakwater in Kuala Nerus
ZARINA ABDULLAH New Straits Times 27 Jan 16;

KUALA TERENGGANU: State Government has allocated RM1 million to set up a temporary breakwater near Kampung Tanjung Gelam in Kuala Nerus.

Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman said the allocation was immediately approved to avoid more damages at the beach.

Ahmad Razif said this yesterday to reporters after visiting the affected area in Kampung Tanjung Gelam, where he also handed over incentives to seven affected house owners.

He visited the village with his wife Toh Puan Halina Zakaria, State Police Chief Datuk Rosli Ab Rahman, Kuala Nerus Umno division Deputy Chief Datuk Basir Ismail and District Police Chief Assistant Commissioner Idris Abdul Rafar.

Ahmad Razif said the government will be assisting the victims by offering them affordable houses.

On Jan 25, two houses were damaged while five others in dangerous positions when strong winds and rough sea condition hit the area at 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment