Malaysia: ‘Trash’ in Klang River revealed to be trail of dead fish

D. KANYAKUMARI The Star 16 Jan 16;

PETALING JAYA: A close inspection of unusual amounts of “garbage” in the Klang River on Friday revealed a trail of dead fish flowing from Masjid Jamek all the way to Brickfields.

Graphic designer Jeffrey Lim, 37, told The Star Online on Friday that he noticed the situation at about 11am on Friday when he was cycling along the bicycle lane in Brickfields, which runs alongside the Klang River.

“I noticed an odd amount of trash, more than usual, in the river. When I looked closer, I realised it was dead fish.

“It stretched as far upriver and downriver as I could see. Later, I met a fellow cyclist who had just got off the monorail at Tun Sambanthan station and he mentioned that he too had seen it from the train,” he said, adding that his friend said the trail of dead fish stretched as far as Pasar Seni.

Lim said he and his friend then cycled further to investigate the situation, which is when they climbed down the embankment and took the pictures of the dead fish.

“After that I headed off for an appointment, and when I returned an hour later, there were still dead fish flowing from upriver, so I decided to trace the source of the dead fish.

“I arrived at Masjid Jamek just before the rain started and found that it was coming from the Sungai Gombak side, which means it could be from the northwest, or north Sungai Batu, Sungai Keroh or even north Sungai Gombak,” he said.

Lim said he then came across some people from NGO River of Life who told him that they had seen the flow of dead fish since early Friday.