Malaysia: Flood victims in three states evacuated from their homes

The Star 7 Feb 16;

SEREMBAN: More flood victims from Negri Sembilan, Malacca and Johor had to be evacuated from their houses following continuous rain.

As of yesterday evening, the number of all the evacuees rose to 442 victims compared to 184 earlier in the morning.

Negri Sembilan Fire and Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis said 111 families were evacuated to five relief centres after their homes were inundated following continuous heavy rain.

The latest district to be hit was Rembau.

The relief centres were opened at Dewan Orang Ramai Sg Kelamah (seven victims from a family), Kampung Parit Buloh Community Hall (31 victims from nine families), Masjid Sungai Dua (22 victims from four families), Lubuk Cina, Rembau (18 victims from three families) and Taman Pinggiran Sg Kelamah (364 victims from 94 families).

Norazam said four boats, two five-tonne lorries and a three-tonne lorry had been used for the rescue mission.

They were assisted by 28 Fire and Rescue Department personnel.

He said Jalan Gemas-Gemenceh was reported to be cut off as the road was submerged and also closed to all vehicles.

In Malacca, eight relief centres have been opened in Jasin and Alor Gajah to accommodate 264 victims after their homes were inundated by floodwaters.

Malacca Civil Defence Depart­ment director Effendy Ali said 186 were housed in five relief centres in Alor Gajah, while 78 others were taking shelter at three centres in Jasin.

He said the relief centres in Alor Gajah were the community halls of Kampung Gadek (40), Bukit Balai Durian Tunggal (14), Bukit Tambun Durian Tunggal (eight), the Taman Seri Cahaya Tebong Machap surau (14) and SK Belimbing Dalam (19).

The three centres in Jasin were at SMK Simpang Bekoh (50), SK Chohong (25) and Asahan community hall (three).

“Twenty of the victims in Jasin are students of a religious school located in the district,” he said.

Effendy said the first relief centre was opened in Jasin at 1am and the number of evacuees at all centres was expected to rise following continuous heavy rain.

In Johor, two villages in Ledang district were hit by flash floods following heavy rains since the evening.

Ledang district Civil Defence Department officer Mohd Shahrizan Abd Aziz said only one house was affected, but the road connecting Kampung Sialang Dalam and Kampung Seberang Gajah was temporarily inaccessible to light vehicles.

“Apart from the heavy rains, the flash floods resulted when Sungai Asahan and Sungai Cohong near the villages overflowed,” he said. — Bernama

Getting soaked on CNY
NURBAITI HAMDAN The Star 7 Feb 16;

PETALING JAYA: The Year of the Fire Monkey is off to a wet start with the weatherman predicting isolated rainfall and thunderstorms in many parts of Malaysia on the first day of Chinese New Year.

Despite the fire element in the Chinese zodiac sign, the nation looks set to experience cooling weather from the rain instead of warm sunshine.

According to the weather forecast by the Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia), Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang, east Johor and several divisions in Kudat and Sandakan in Sabah will experience isolated rainfall over the coastal areas in the morning of Chinese New Year tomorrow.

Isolated thunderstorms are expected to hit Perak, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya, Negri Sembilan, Malacca, Johor, Pahang and divisions of Interior and west coast of Sabah during the afternoon.

Similar weather will continue on the second day of the Lunar New Year with isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon expected in Perak, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya, Negri Sembilan, divisions in Kuching, Samarahan, Betong, Sarikei and Limbang in Sarawak, as well as divisions of Interior and west coast of Sabah.

MetMalaysia director-general Datuk Che Gayah Ismail said there could be flash floods if the thunderstorms were severe, especially if coupled by poor drainage systems in the districts.

Yesterday, more than 400 people had to be evacuated from several districts in Malacca, Johor and Negri Sembilan because of flash floods.

Despite the cooler weather from the rain, Malaysians should not be bundling up anytime soon as the rumoured “extreme cold weather” which came up in social media was far from the truth.

The Star had earlier debunked an unverified news report that went viral online, which predicted that Malaysia would experience cold weather during the Chinese New Year period.

Che Gayah said such a claim was “untrue”, adding that the temperature would remain within the normal range throughout February.

“The statement was not from me. The lowest temperature of 16°C was actually referring to last year’s minimum temperature,” she said.

Warning on strong winds, rough seas until Tuesday
BERNAMA New Straits Times 7 Feb 16;

KUALA LUMPUR: Strong north-easterly winds of up to 60 kilometre per hour (kmph) with high waves of more than 4.5 metres is expected in waters off Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang, eastern Johor, Sarawak, Labuan and Sabah (Pedalaman, Pantai Barat and Kudat) until this Tuesday.

The Meteorological Department, in a statement today, said a similar weather condition was also expected in waters off Condore, Reef North, Layang-Layang, Samui, Palawan, Tioman, Bunguran, Reef South and Kuching.

“Such a weather condition is dangerous to all beach and shipping activities, including oil platform,” it said.

It said the coastal areas in Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang and eastern Johor would also be exposed to the high tide phenomenon. --Bernama

No comments:

Post a Comment