Indonesia: Food stock sufficient until May 2017 - President

Antara 16 Nov 16;

Depok, W. Java (ANTARA News) - President Joko Widodo said that the national food stock would be sufficient to meet demands until May 2017, due to the favorable wet season during 2016.

"Our food stock will be sufficient till May 2017, and we have benefited from continuous rain throughout the year," he said after briefing 3,500 personnel of Division I of the Army Strategic Command (Kostrad) at its headquarters in Cilodong, Depok, on Wednesday.

He said that the paddy fields, which usually were harvested once or twice a year, could be harvested thrice a year, thanks to the high amount of rainfall during 2016.

"I think it was our luck that the rainfall continued throughout the year in all the regions," Widodo said.

The briefing was also attended by Wiranto, Coordinating Minister for Politic, Legal and Security; Pramono Anung, Cabinet Secretary; General Gatot Nurmantyo, Military Chief; General Mulyono, Army Chief of Staff; and Lieutenant General Edy Rahmayadi, Chief of Kostrad.

Previously, Agriculture Minister Andi Amran Sulaiman had said that the national food stock had reached 2 million tonnes, which was sufficient for consumption until May 2017.

"This would be sufficient till May (next year). We will have harvesting season in March and God willing our rice (stock) would be adequate," Amran said during the weekend, adding that such a success was reached amid El Nino and La Nina phenomenon.

"El Nino 2015 was the heaviest in its history or at least in the past 71 years. Hopefully, it would end by 2017," he said.(*)

No comments:

Post a Comment