Done that, bin where?

NEA didn't reply to request for recycling bin near home
Event organisers should have had bins for paper
Letter from ETHAN GUO
Letter from SAUL SIO

Today Online 10 Dec 07;

I recently moved into a new apartment in the city. Having lived previously in a landed property where I had my own recycling bin, I continued to separate recyclable material from the usual trash at my new place.

I looked up the National Environment Agency's (NEA) website to find out the location of the nearest recycling bin and was disappointed to find that it was at Temasek Tower, which is quite a distance away from my home.

I sent feedback through the NEA's website requesting for a recycling bin nearer to my area but have received no reply.

However, I was determined to continue recycling. One weekday morning, I braved the peak-hour Central Business District crowd and made my way to Temasek Tower with two big bags of recyclable trash. But the recycling bin was nowhere to be found.

Every Housing Development Board (HDB) block, condominium and shopping centre should have a recycling bin.

The ones I have seen are always filled to the brim. Recyclable trash should be collected as frequently as normal trash. And perhaps, new HDB blocks should have another rubbish chute just for recyclables to encourage residents to separate their trash.

Improper or under-utilisation of these bins are the results of the lack of awareness and education. Recycling facilities have to be there for people who care enough to use them. Hopefully, the general population will be more aware of its carbon footprint as efforts to reach out to more people continue.

As our population grows, so too will the corresponding amount of trash. This problem should be tackled now, not later.

It was a good initiative to provide recycling bins for old computer parts during the Sitex 2007 fair from Nov 29 to Dec 2.

However, it was disheartening that there was no recycling bin for paper.

I saw only one recycling bin for cans in the exhibition hall.

Tonnes of brochures freely distributed from all the exhibitors ended up in the garbage bin.

Others ended up littering the floor.

With so much attention on the environment and talk about being socially- responsible corporate citizens, it was discomfiting to note the organisers' oversight on this matter.

May I suggest all venue providers to put this on their checklists in future — to ensure that exhibitors provide recycling bins for plastic, cans as well as paper.