Felling of trees a blow to Pasir Ris residents

Felled old trees were pride of quaint neighbourhood They were healthy – why cut them down?

Today Online 26 Feb 08;
Letter from Ong Siew Khim
Letter from David Law Kah Hock

I AM shocked and utterly disappointed at the felling of several old handsome casuarina trees along Elias Road.

We have been staying here for about 15 years and my family and neighbours take a lot of pride in these majestic willowy trees, which add a lot of character to the quaint neighbourhood.

Even visiting friends and relatives often comment about how beautiful they are. Very often, I look out of the window and spot various breeds of exotic birds resting and feeding on the fruit. They are one of the main reasons why we have chosen to stay here for many years.

So, imagine our horror on Saturday morning when we discovered a team of workers chopping down the trees.

When I approached them to find out why, they asked me to contact the Pasir Ris Town Council, which is closed during the weekend. They also told me they were going to chop down all the casuarina trees.

My family and I are upset that this has happened and hope to hear the justification for this insensitive action. As we are a green garden city, we should have more respect and consideration for residents and our surroundings.

I hope that through this letter, we can prevent more of these trees being felled. It takes just minutes to cut them down, but decades for them to flourish.

I AM dismayed by the Pasir Ris Town Council's decision to cut down mature and healthy casuarina trees in the area.

For many years, these tall and graceful trees have provided residents shade and comfort. One gets a sense of peace and calm just by looking at them.

Now, two of these gentle giants, each about 14 storeys high, have been cut down.

I do not see a need for such action. Many visitors have said that these beautiful trees give this estate a distinct feel.

I spoke to the contractor in charge and he attested that the trees were very healthy. He, too, is at a loss as to why he was instructed to cut them down.

I am disappointed with the National Parks Board for allowing this to happen. I am sure that without their approval, these trees could not have been felled. Can someone explain why these trees were cut down?