Fishing has him hooked: Fishing in Singapore

Berton Lim, New Paper 19 May 08;

WHENEVER he can afford the time, Home United midfielder Tengku Mushadad would rent a boat at Changi Village with his friends and go boat fishing.

The 23-year-old said: 'Boat fishing is my favourite pastime.

'My father introduced fishing to me when I was six. Since then, I am hooked because it gives me peace of mind like no other hobby can.'

Like most recreational fishermen, Tengku Mushadad started off with angling. Angling is the practice of catching fish with a hook.

However, an incident last year prompted him to venture into deeper waters instead.

Tengku Mushadad recalled: 'I was fishing at Punggol Track 17.

'Soon, there was a strong tug on my line. I lifted the rod and tried to reel in the fish, but it just wouldn't budge.

'The fish was about 60m from my position. I used up a lot of strength, and just when I was about to succeed, my line snapped!

'That was very frustrating because it took me two long hours.'

He continued with a laugh: 'From then on, I decided to spend my time cruising the saltwater around Pulau Ubin and Pulau Tekong.'

Compared to angling, boat fishing provides its enthusiasts convenient access to prime areas that are too far away from the bank.

It also allows fishing for deep-water fish, such as lake trout.

'My friends and I rent the boat in 12-hour blocks,' revealed Tengku Mushadad.

'There are usually eight of us who go for this boat fishing trip together. We will start at 8am and end at 8pm. It costs $270.'

According to Tengku Mushadad, the companionship provided by friends during a fishing jaunt is valuable.

He explained: 'The sun is very hot in the morning, while sleepiness and fatigue starts to set in at night.

'Chatting with my friends helps me forget these.'

Tengku Mushadad also feels boat fishing teaches him several lessons in life.

'Most of all, it made me become more patient,' he opined with a smile.