Wasting food is totally unacceptable

Letter from Lester Lam, Straits Times 25 May 08;

I refer to the article last Sunday, 'Dumping food that's still good enough to eat?'.

I read with dismay of the hundreds of thousands of tonnes of food Singaporeans wasted last year. As the world community grapples with decreasing food supply and rising food prices, this wastage is totally unacceptable.

This is especially so when many Third World countries face food shortages, and millions suffer from malnutrition, while we can afford to throw away food.

Since I was young, I have always eaten all the food on the table, thanks to my grandmother's teachings. She always reminded me of the farmers who toil in the fields and do not earn much. Having worked in the fields herself, she understood the hardships faced by farmers and that we must always express our gratitude to them by finishing all our food.

I have several suggestions to ensure we are responsible citizens of the world.

To Miss Low Qiong Xia, who said her family throws away oranges used in religious offerings, oranges are not the only fruit that can be offered. One can buy food that is also enjoyed by the family. My family offers apples, and rice, which we can eat after offering.

To businesses which have no choice but to throw away food that is not fresh, may I suggest they sell it at low prices to the poor? It is still edible and will not cause any health problems. In this way, businesses can recoup some of their losses while the poor will save some money. In fact, my family often eats leftovers for up to three days without any problems.

Finally, to fellow Singaporeans, let us consume only what we need. Let us not forget the plight millions around the world face due to food shortages. Without excessive consumption, we can also reduce the problem of obesity and related diseases with which Singapore grapples.