Sad farewell to tranquil Seletar Airbase

Straits Times Forum 30 Dec 08;

THE black-and-white houses, like their photographic counterparts, tell an old story plain words cannot describe. The unfathomable peace, unparalleled anywhere else in Singapore, the song of the magpie robins and the occasional caw of parrots playing like soft music in the distance - these have been the days of Seletar Airbase.

A sense of sadness struck as we were told we had to leave the estate by the end of this year. Where would we ever find such a place again? Nowhere else could we find a place with such tranquillity and lush greenery in the urban jungle of Singapore. As some readers may know, there are plans to expand the aerospace hub in Seletar Airbase, hence our need to move out.

As a Seletarian for the past nine years, I have grown fond of this place. As I live out my remaining hours on Seletar soil, I reminisce and, as much as I like my recently bought replacement home, I realise nothing can ever replace what we have in Seletar.

Our dog, Shandy, which has been with us throughout our stay in Seletar, will be devastated for a start - where else can a domestic pet enjoy such nature and greenery in Singapore? Where else can it have a large garden to frolic in, as any happy dog should?

As I sit here on my rusty swing, I take one of my last glances at the place I have called home for almost the past decade. The house will be demolished and the ground piledriven in a matter of days. A saddening thought it may be, but as with everything in life, we must learn to move on and accept change.

Seletar Airbase will be physically demolished, but it will forever have a place in my heart. I am sure other residents who leave will feel the same.

Thank you, Seletar Airbase, for all the great times you have given us. You will be sorely missed.

Jeremy Sim