Fire hazard: Kudos to Government, but not Shell

Straits Times Forum 28 Feb 09;

WITH the recent spate of forest fires around Singapore over the past few weeks, I had grown increasingly concerned over a potential fire hazard caused by overgrown vegetation surrounding a Shell petrol station in New Loyang Link.

So I wrote to Shell Petroleum on Feb 17 via its media relations webpage but did not receive any response.

After three days of anxious waiting, on Feb 19, I reported the matter to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) via its 'Reporting of fire hazard' Web link.

I immediately received a reply from Lieutenant Nicholas Tang, telling me he had forwarded my feedback to the National Parks Board (NParks). He also assured me he would continue to monitor the case.

Within 24 hours, Ms Liu Li Ting of NParks replied to tell me she had forwarded my feedback to HDB, which was responsible for the area concerned.

On Monday, Mr Megat Azman of HDB replied via e-mail that a work order had been filed for the area to be cleared.

The next day, when I passed the Shell station, I was relieved to note that the surrounding area had been trimmed and cleared a reasonable distance around the station.

I would like to thank SCDF, NParks and HDB for their prompt action.

This is a stark contrast to the indifference shown by Shell Petroleum, which does not seem to be concerned about the safety of its customers, staff or residents living in the area.

I have yet to receive a response from Shell Petroleum.

Andora Tan (Mdm)

Shell replies
Straits Times Forum 5 Mar 09;

'While we had taken steps immediately to address any potential fire hazard, we neglected to inform Madam Tan of the actions taken.'

MR HENRY CHU, General Manager, Retail Sales & Operations, Shell Eastern Petroleum: 'I refer to last Saturday's letter by Madam Andora Tan, 'Fire hazard: Kudos to Govt, but not Shell'. We received Madam Tan's e-mail on Feb 17 and contacted the authorities before noon the same day to seek their assistance to clear the plants around the petrol station. The Singapore Land Authority referred us to the HDB and told us HDB would contact us shortly. In view of the recent dry spell, we also activated our internal safety precautions at our sites, including watering dry vegetation around our premises. Regrettably, while we had taken steps immediately to address any potential fire hazard around our sites, we neglected to inform Madam Tan of the actions taken. We have since contacted Madam Tan and apologised for not responding to her e-mail promptly, as is our normal procedure. Shell takes feedback seriously, especially when it concerns the safety of customers and staff at our facilities, and the communities around them. I thank Madam Tan for her civic-mindedness in bringing this potential fire hazard to our attention.'