All stirred up over drinking water in restaurants

Some eateries are upset over blogger's list of places that don't serve free water
Lee Xin En, Straits Times 12 Jul 09;

A blogger, upset that a restaurant would not serve her tap water which she needed to take her medication with, is urging diners to boycott such outlets.

Miss Veron Ang - urged on by some netizens - went further and posted on her blog a list of 62 restaurants that she claimed do not serve free water.

It provoked angry reactions from several of the eateries which said they do serve water without charge.

One warned that the list Miss Ang, 24, a Web developer, created was 'libellous'.

Miss Ang said that in May, she dined at a restaurant in the west that refused to serve her water although she needed it for her medication.

After she 'Twittered' the incident, her friends urged her to create a list of similar eating places. She compiled an initial list from her own experience, as well as going to reviews on a food website, and asking friends on Facebook and Twitter.

After her list was posted on blog aggregating site Tomorrow.sg, other contributions started flowing in.

Her initial list, first posted last month, grew to 62 restaurants. It has been circulated by many Twitter users and websites.

The restaurants that do serve free water, but yet ended up on the list, are not amused. The Tapas Tree is one.

The marketing and sales manager for The Tapas Tree Group, Ms Lyn Yip, said: 'We find this list to be libellous, and will not hesitate to engage our lawyer if we are not removed from the list and the situation is not rectified immediately.

'We live in a time when the influence of Web opinion cannot be ignored, so bloggers have to approach their entries with responsibility, especially when composing defamatory lists.'

The list was still available at Miss Ang's blog when The Sunday Times checked yesterday at 4pm.

When contacted, 10 of the listed restaurants that admitted to a 'no free water' policy defended their position.

The managing director of Italian restaurant La Forketta, Ms Gracie Vitale, said: 'Our patrons are serious diners and come for our food, not to taste water. It's the customer with a budget who insists on tap water.'

She added that, outside Singapore, 'nobody really asks for tap water'.

Mr Jeffrey Jumahat, manager of Cafe Le Caire which does not serve free water, also shrugged off the list's boycott exhortation.

'To be frank, I don't think customers will just boycott because of water. There's no urgent need to take action at this point of time,' he said.

Mr Jack Chin, co-founder of Mad Jack's, said his chain of four restaurants does not serve free water because manpower is needed to refill and wash the glasses. He added: 'People who complain are not educated about business costs because nothing is free.'

Bakerzin, which started serving free water in April last year, said it incurred costs of $25,000 to install special water filters at its 10 sit-down dining outlets.

Taking the list seriously is Alps Cafe owner Danny Ang, who is rethinking his policy of 'free water only if you ask for it'.

His cafe had stopped serving water at dinner only late last year, but he does serve free tap water to customers who want it.

He said: 'I'm worried about the list. If customers really want it, I might consider raising the price of the food to give everyone free water.'

Several patrons contacted dismissed the reasons cited for not giving free tap water.

Sales manager Renee Koh, 32, said: 'Serving plain water for free should really be part of the service experience and I find it hard to think that the costs are that high, given that the water served is just chilled tap water.'

Mr Aun Koh, director of media and lifestyle consultancy Ate Media which published Asia's first restaurant guide The Miele Guide, said: 'In Singapore, there is no excuse other than snobbish vanity to drink bottled water and no reason other than an attempt to increase revenues for restaurateurs to refuse to offer tap water to their patrons.'

Restaurant patrons outside Singapore do ask for tap water - and get it
Straits Times Forum 14 Jul 09;

I READ Sunday's excellent report, 'All stirred up over drinking water in restaurants', on serving water in various restaurants and the ongoing debate. I have written before about this subject.

In a nutshell, the only reason not to serve water in restaurants is to make a profit from sales of bottled water.

I had the same experience as Ms Veron Ang at a Thai restaurant in Clarke Quay where I hosted eight people to lunch. I had to take a pill for a cold symptom and asked for a glass of water. No dice. I was told, 'We don't practise serving water by the glass', meaning I had to buy a bottle of water. We left without ordering and went to a more 'realistic' restaurant.

The woman from La Forketta restaurant is wrong when she says that 'nobody outside Singapore asks for tap water'. Perhaps she has not been outside Singapore. Everywhere I travel in the region and in North America, Australia and New Zealand, the first thing the wait staff does is put either a glass or carafe of water on the table. Free. No questions.

Perhaps the only solution if one cannot get a glass of water and likes the restaurant is either to take your own bottle of water and ask if this is okay before ordering, or to take an empty plastic glass and take tap water from the washroom. Singapore water is pure and safe.

Cassell R. Meyers

Bottled water not a green option
Straits Times 19 Jul 09;

I am writing in response to last Sunday's article, 'All stirred up over drinking water in restaurants'.

I applaud Miss Veron Ang for compiling a list of restaurants that do not serve free water.

Where possible, I choose to drink tap water in restaurants as I do not find a significant difference in taste between tap and mineral water - at least, not enough to make me pay for mineral water.

Yes, cost plays a role in my decision. However, I should not be made to feel inferior by snobbish restaurateurs looking to increase their revenues.

Another reason I prefer tap water is that I cannot justify the carbon footprint for that one bottle of mineral water. Once you take into account the manufacturing of the bottle, the bottling process, packaging and transportation, drinking mineral water is not an environmentally friendly option.

While I would not boycott a restaurant that does not serve free water (assuming it offers good food quality, ambience and service), I would boycott a restaurant that adopts a condescending and arrogant attitude.

I hope that they will reconsider their approach, not just on the issue of free water, but on their entire service policy.

Chan Yiu Lin (Ms)

It's about service and good dining
Straits Times 19 Jul 09;

Here is an account of my experience of being served drinking water in restaurants.

A month ago, when I dined at Crystal Jade Kitchen (Plaza Singapura), I was not served any water until I asked, and I was later charged for it.

A few days later, I visited the Crystal Jade Kitchen (Holland Village) branch. This time, I did not ask for water. However, the waitress, seeing that I was perspiring, served me water of her own accord and refilled my cup many times. I did not ask whether I had to pay for it because I was so impressed with her service, I would not have minded paying.

Later, upon receiving the bill, I realised that she did not charge me for the water.

To me, receiving free water is secondary to a good dining experience. Restaurant owners should not belittle or insult customers who might want to save money by not paying for bottled water, but who still want to eat at their restaurants. All customers should be treated with respect.

Chua Shuyi (Ms)