Worry over 145-year-old tree

Straits Times Forum 22 Apr 10;
PHOTO COURTESY OF MARY KOGAN

I AM 84 years old and have been living at the Abdullah Shooker Jewish Welfare Home in Wilkie Road for the past 11 months.

It is nice and I like it. However, there is one drawback. We are surrounded by construction workers who hack away at everything in sight.

We live in close proximity to a 145-year-old tree (above) which is dear to me. I understand the authorities will not allow it to be felled. But I worry that, expert and scrupulous as they may be, these construction workers may accidentally go too far in trimming my tree and cause it to fall.

The construction work has been going on since I came here. While the workers have a job to do in the neighbourhood, I will be happy if they leave the tree alone. I understand that the workers will take at least four more months to finish their task. Until then, I will remain worried about my tree.

Mary Kogan (Mrs)