Save the kampung: Kampong Lorong Buangkok

Straits Times Life Mailbag 26 Mar 11;

I am writing in to express my views about Kampong Lorong Buangkok.

As we know, it is the last kampung on the main island of Singapore. I believe that urbanisation and modernisation are inevitable for Singapore.

However, we should not urbanise our country to the point that only Pulau Ubin is left unscathed for future generations.

Perhaps, even Pulau Ubin will be urbanised, leaving us to recreate the old kampung lifestyle in our museums.

I am a resident of Hougang and have been living in the north-eastern part of Singapore for more than a decade. I believe there is still plenty of empty land in this part of Singapore, particularly in Sengkang and Punggol.

I urge the relevant authorities to consider the utilisation of currently empty plots of land in Sengkang and Punggol first before thinking about urbanisation plans for Kampong Lorong Buangkok.

We have heritage places such as Katong, Joo Chiat, Tiong Bahru, Chinatown, Little India, Geylang, Kampong Glam and Holland Village. Why not preserve Kampong Lorong Buangkok as well?

Quek Peh Jia