Run but don't litter

Straits Times Forum 17 Oct 12;

I RAN the North Face 100 race last Saturday at MacRitchie Reservoir/Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.

While I thoroughly enjoyed my 25km run, I was disappointed to see some runners throwing their empty power-gel sachets or water cups on the ground along the trails.

I also saw monkeys at the nature reserve tearing up these pieces of rubbish to scavenge for leftover food.

Unlike conventional races in the city, I do not think there were cleaners to pick up rubbish along the running trails for this race. Although we paid to take part in the race, we are not entitled to litter.

The race organisers should consider placing more disposal bins along the trails.

As for the runners, they should either keep their rubbish temporarily in their hydration bags, or simply hold on to it until they see a bin.

Let's help to preserve our beautiful nature reserves by being more conscious of our actions and not littering. As the slogan goes: "Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints."

Tan Poh Long