Malaysia: Man survives panther attack

New Straits Times 12 Feb 13;

GUA MUSANG: A panther attacked an Indonesian worker who was spraying insecticide at an oil palm estate at Felda Perasu here on Sunday.

Alip Abil, however, was lucky to escape death as a co-worker came to his aid. He was rushed to the hospital, where he received 50 stitches.

Alip, 33, said he had gone to the estate with six others. Upon arriving, they split up to work in different parts of the estate.

"It was 8.30am and I had just started spraying the insecticide when an animal suddenly jumped on my back. I thought it was a wild boar and put up a fight but the pain was unbearable and I shouted for help," he said at the workers' kongsi.

Alip said his friend, Nuraidi Marsudi, 26, rushed to help while the other five ran off.

"Only when Nuraidi told me that it was a panther did I realise that I was struggling with a ferocious animal. This news frightened me further, as I believed I was facing certain death.

"But I was lucky as Nuraidi reacted quickly by taking a sharp stick and prodding the panther's mouth, forcing it to release me.

"It then turned on Nuraidi. Since he had a sharp stick, the panther did not put up a fight and left the area.

"I was semi-conscious when they took me to Gua Musang Hospital. I am glad that I am still alive after the attack."

Nuradi said the panther became aggressive when he poked it with the stick. However, it decided to leave soon after.

He said the panther was as big as a large goat and that it was knee-high in height.

There have been frequent sightings or attacks by tigers in Kelantan, but an attack by a panther is rare.