Malaysia: Man frees dolphin from fishing net in Sungai Kilim

Bernama New Straits Times 4 May 19;

LANGKAWI: A tourist boat skipper saved a dolphin that was entangled in a fishing net at the Sungai Kilim estuary here on Thursday (May 2).

Afiq Ali, 27, said during the 9am incident, he and a friend were heading towards the Teluk Mempelam and Gua Cherita beaches from the Sungai Kilim tourist jetty.

“About two kilometres from the jetty, I saw a wooden stick, used to fasten fishing nets, moving slowly in front of the boat.

"At the same time, I saw two or three dolphins swimming nearby.

“It got me thinking that there must be a dolphin stuck (in the net) but I had to chase it for about 30 minutes before I managed to grab the stick and haul the dolphin onto the boat to check on its condition. I saw strands of the net wrapped around its mouth,” he told Bernama today.

Afiq said while cutting the strand, he saw wounds on its body, believed to have been caused by the net.

Afiq added that this was his first time coming in contact with a dolphin.

“Almost every day, we have tourists coming here to see the dolphins, especially in the morning and evening,” he said. - Bernama