Join hands to keep forests

Straits Times Forum 4 Dec 09;

I AM inspired by recent reports in The Straits Times about Singapore's unique biodiversity.

I am a lover of forests myself and I hate to see them destroyed in the name of urbanisation and land use. The forests - or what is left of them - are precious ecosystems for the variety of wildlife in Singapore. The musang is one of them. There are countless others and I am glad there are groups here that look out for the wildlife.

Where I live, in Tampines, there is a tract of forested land. I have seen kingfishers darting about, their wings a flash of vivid blue and red. Black-shouldered kites hover in the air as they hunt for prey. Migratory birds (little egrets) graze on the grass slopes and in the tiny creek running through. I sometimes find bitterns resting on the branches. Occasionally, I spy a mated pair of white-bellied sea eagles spiralling regally in the sky.

At times, I see snakes: painted bronzebacks and equatorial spitting cobras. They enjoy basking in the sun and the solitude provided by the forested land.

This is on top of the other bird and animal species found living near and in the forested land. Changeable lizards in their flashy territorial colours scurry on tree trunks. Long- tailed shrikes make their presence known.

I am not even counting the diverse plant life. Do children know there is a wild passion flower species and how resilient it is?

So when I read the reports, I was immensely heartened. There is a rich variety of wildlife and green areas in Singapore. To know the land and its wildlife is to love it and protect it from the ravages of urbanisation.

Perhaps we should have a Friends Of Wild Lands group in Singapore, where people who are passionate about preserving these vital forested lands can get together and guard them.

By the way, the forested land where I spotted the myriad species is next to Tampines Avenue 9, nestling beside Tampines North Primary School.

I often dread seeing bulldozers gouging ugly trenches near the forested lands and fear their incursion into the heart of the forest.

I hope the authorities will think twice before allowing any such encroachments.

Joyce Chng (Ms)